Summer Fun In The Sun
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Due to COVID-19 guidelines, the Clifton Recreation Department has had to revise and limit the summer programs offered for 2020. We want to allow children the opportunity to get back to the parks and engaging in activities with other children. This year the program will be entitled "Summer Fun In The Sun" and will be a half-day program (9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.) run at various park locations throughout Clifton. Participants will engage in social distancing, as much as possible, during activities that will include group games, crafts and sports. The program will be conducted outdoors only. Participants and staff will be required to wear a face covering while at the program and parent must wear a face covering when dropping off and picking up their child (unless health regulations are revised).
There are 2 sessions. Each session lasts 3 weeks and is limited to 20 participants at each site. Summer Fun in the Sun registration for 2020 will ONLY be conducted online. In-person registration is not permitted at this time due to COVID-19 guidelines. Visit here for registration procedures. The program is open to Clifton Residents ONLY. Pre-registration is required. Registration closes the Friday before the session begins at 12:00 p.m. Please be sure to select the site that best works for your family when registering because there will be no switching of sites once the program begins. Locations may be combined due to lack of enrollment at a particular park before the program starts. Participants will be notified by the Recreation Department and given an opportunity to change to another park site or receive a refund.
In the event of inclement weather, before the day begins, parents will receive a text message after 8:00 a.m. to alert you if the program is canceled for the day (there are no indoor facilities available). Please make sure to sign-up for mobile notification under your account. In the event of inclement weather, during the day, children will need to be picked up as soon a possible because there is no shelter for them at the park.
In addition, summer staff will be working on posting some exciting virtual activities each week that registered summer program participants will be able to enjoy in the afternoons. A schedule will be given out at the program sites of what will take place on a weekly basis and how to access that information.
July 13 - August 21, 2020
Monday through Friday
9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
The program is conducted from 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. however you can begin arriving at 8:45 a.m.
This will allow time for the required daily temperature check and health assessment that will be conducted before your child is allowed to participate in the program. When dropping off, parents must wear a face covering and must stay with their child until they have been tested and approved. Maintain social distancing.
If your child walks or rides a bike to the program and does not pass the pre-assessment requirements parents will be contacted to come and pick their child up immediately.
Session 1: July 13th - July 31st (3 weeks)
Session 2: August 3rd - August 21st (3 weeks)
Participants must be age 5 as of October 1, 2019 through age 12 as of October 1, 2019. There will be a total of 20 participants at each site.
Program is open to Clifton Residents ONLY. Pre-registration is required. There are 2 sessions. Each session lasts 3 weeks and is limited to 20 participants at each site. Summer Fun in the Sun registration for 2020 will ONLY be conducted online. In person registration is not permitted at this time due to COVID-19 guidelines. Visit here
for registration procedures. Unfortunately due to state re-opening guidelines as a result of COVID-19 non-residents will not be eligible to register for the Summer Fun in the Sun program for 2020. Registration closes the Friday before the session begins at 12:00 p.m.
$90.00 per session. Open to Clifton residents only.
Albion Park - 201 Maplewood Ave.
Holster Park - 699 Grove St.
Mt. Prospect Park - 341 Mount Prospect Ave.
Nash Park - 700 Lexington Ave.
Stefan Tatarenko Memorial Park - 55 Broadale Ave.
Washington Park - 1004 Paulison Ave.
Please note that the program will be conducted outdoors ONLY. There is no switching of sites once the program begins due to state guidelines for health and safety regulations during COVID-19 re-phasing plans so please be sure to select the site that best works for your family. Locations may be combined due to lack of enrollment at a particular site before the program starts. In the event of a change, participants enrolled at an affected site will be contacted by the Recreation Department for re-location. In the event of inclement weather, before the day begins, parents will receive a text message after 8:00 a.m. to alert you if the program is canceled for the day (there are no indoor facilities available). Please make sure to sign-up for mobile notification under your account. In the event of inclement weather, during the day, children will need to be picked up as soon a possible because there is no shelter for them at the park.
Due to state regulations and guidelines set forth for recovery from COVID-19 and social distancing rules there will be no field trips or special events (i.e. luau, olympics or picnic) for the 2020 summer program. Clifton Recreation T-shirts are not required however, they are still available for purchase at a 2020 discounted rate of $6.00.
Request for Summer Aides:
If you feel your child is in need of an aide to assist/shadow them at the summer programs, you must make a request through the Recreation Department when registering. At the time of your request you must submit a copy of your child's I.E.P. Report. Assignments will be made based on a review of your child's documents and results of a phone interview. This will help determine the best strategy to assist your child in having a memorable and safe summer. We will contact you to set-up an interview.
Health & Safety Requirements:
- The program begins at 9:00 a.m.; however, you can begin arriving at 8:45 a.m. This will allow time for the required daily temperature check and health assessment that must be conducted before your child is allowed to participate in the program.
- Each day your child will be asked a series of 4 health assessment questions and temperature taken daily. Any child that fails the pre-admission screening will not be able to participate in the program. Please be patient when dropping off your child as this may take some time and can only be done one at a time. If your child walks or rides a bike to the program and does not pass the pre-assessment requirements, parents will be contacted to come and pick their child up immediately.
- Parents must wear a face-covering and social distance as they wait for their child to be tested and approved for admission.
- The program ends at 12:30 p.m. (there is no after care provided). Please make sure you are there by dismissal time. A late fee of $10.00, per 15 minutes, will be charged for persistent lateness in picking up children at the end of the day.
- You must sign out your child at the end of each day, prior to leaving, to ensure your child's safety. If your child has been approved to walk or bike to and from the program, they must let the counselors know they are leaving before each day so the counselor can sign them out.
- Please notify the counselor if your child will be going home with someone other than yourself.
- Parents must wear a face-covering and social distance when signing out their child from the program.
- Please keep your child home if they have any viral symptoms or your child has been exposed to the virus - self isolate.
- In the event that the summer program is closed due to a health emergency, participant will receive a partial refund for the days the program is required to be closed.
- No handshakes, high fives, fist bumps, or hugging is permitted.
- There is no sharing of equipment unless activity requires. Program equipment and supplies will be cleaned daily.
- All activities will be socially distanced as best as possible. Some activities will be revised or modified to meet these criteria. This includes both active and passive activities.
- Face-coverings will be required by participants and staff, until health restrictions are revised.
- Hand washing / hand sanitizing will take place frequently throughout the day. Feel free to send your child to the program with hand sanitizer and/or wipes as extra precaution. Hand sanitizer should contain at least 60% alcohol.
- Only 1 participant will be allowed in the restrooms at a time. Please note some sites will only have port-a-johns for use.
- Respiratory etiquette for coughing, sneezing and nose blowing will be encouraged at all times. Practice and encourage these health guidelines at home so that your child becomes accustomed to these procedures.
- No outside visitors will be allowed at the program other than Clifton Recreation Department City Hall and Health Department Staff. Participants will not mix with other groups during the day.
- Be sure to thoroughly wash hands, for at least 20 seconds, when you return home.
- The Recreation Department will clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects throughout the day.
Additional Forms and Files: